As with any “firsts”, you want to be prepared. When you interview for a job, you want to be prepared by finding out about as much as possible about the company. One of the ways to be prepared is to have a list of questions you want to ask. Similarly, you want to have a mental list of questions you want to ask for your first date. This is to ensure you are prepared and so you will be able to analyze if you want to have a second date with this person or not. You also do not want to regret not asking these questions.
- “Tell me about your family.” – This question will tell a lot about the person’s upbringing. Did they grow up in a ranch? City life? Grow up with a stay at home mom / dad? Maybe even broken family? None of these are necessarily negative but it’s very telling of a person’s upbringing.
- “What do you find joy in?” – This question reveals their value and their priority. How they spend like to spend their time. What makes them laugh.
- “What is your current passion?” – This will tell you the person’s core. If they don’t have any, it may be an indication they don’t take things seriously or think much about that is important to them and people around them.
- “What is your definition of progression in career?” – In any relationship, you want to find someone who has an upward outlook towards their career rather than to be stagnant.
- “How do you spend your weekend?” – Compatibility on how to spend free time is important. If one loves the great outdoors but you don’t like moving a finger on the weekend, you will have a problem.
- “Who do you talk to the most in your life?” – This may give you insight of where you may fit in the future. If they cherish relationship with family or friends then that is a good sign. Ex boyfriend or girlfriend, not so good.
- “What do you look for in a relationship?” – you may not get a straight answer. Not all people are going to say “great sex” on the first date. Your mileage may vary.
Granted, you may not want to blast this list all on the first date and feel pressured to do so. What other questions do you think should make this list?